(a) I can effectively participate in a discussion with my classmates.
(b) I can determine the meaning of visual representations on a map.
(c) I can read for gist as we begin Chapter 1 of A Long Walk to Water.
2. Share "I Notice / I Wonder" notes from the map with a partner, then as a class (7 minutes)
3. Pass out Reader's Notes and ask: (5 minutes)
(a) What do you notice about how the text is laid out?
(b) What do you notice about the type/font and the dates?
4. Share thoughts as a class (5 minutes)
5. Reading to "get the gist" - why we do it. (3 minutes)
6. Teacher reads aloud first section of chapter one while students read along in their heads (fluency). (3 minutes)
7. Students write down thoughts about this first section and then share with class. (5 minutes)
8. Explain tomorrow's LEARNING TARGET - "I can determine the central ideas of Chapter 1 of A Long Walk to Water."