• I can make connections from the text “Sudanese Tribes Confront Modern War” to the novel
A Long Walk to Water.
• I can annotate text to help me track important ideas in Excerpt 1 of “Sudanese Tribes Confront Modern War.”
• I can use context clues to determine word meanings.
2. Read Chapter Six - Nya's section aloud and answer questions:
(a) Why is Nya afraid of the Dinka?
(b) Why is Salva afraid of the Nuer?
3. Excerpt 1 of "Sudanese Tribes Confront Modern War" - Vocabulary
(a) Point out words that are in bold and some that have [ ] beside them.
(b) Use context clues to figure out their meanings
4. Read paragraph 1 of article - pause to annotate paragraph 1 for gist
Question A: “What does the word ‘both’ refer to? Why does the author use the word ‘both’ four times?”
“Temporal means having to do with the time we live in, with the real world. It comes from the root “temp,” which means time. Like the word temporary, which means for a short period of time.”
5. Read paragraph 2 of article - pause to annotate paragraph 2 for gist
Question C: “In your own words, what does the last sentence of paragraph 2 mean?”
6. Read paragraph 3 of article - pause to annotate paragraph 3 for gist.
Question D: “In paragraph 3, what does the word phase mean? When did things begin to change?”
7. What is excerpt 1 mostly about?
1. Complete the "Gathering Evidence" graphic organizer for Excerpt 1